Community Forum

Have a question, or want to share your own tips and experiences? Join the discussion in the community forum. You must be registered to participate. Our forums are moderated by Crohn's & Colitis Foundation staff to facilitate a safe environment.

Treatment options decision


Sat, November 07, 2020 4:06 PM

My son was diagnosed with crohns at 10yrs old, due to low weight and abd pain. Mild case oer colonoscopy and egd. Started on steroids and 6mp, weaned off steroids and continued without issues on 6mp until recently. Few weeks ago started having yellow leakage from his bottom, our gi Dr thought it could be pus and wanted to rule out a fistula or abcess. CT scan was clear, had egd and colonoscopy couple days later, he said didnt see crohns flare but inflammation and thought he had cdiff. Went home gradually worsening abd pain and fullness , unable to pass gas or stool. Increasing fever and tachycardia also. Came to er next morning and had emergent decompression colonoscopy, it worked! Had been started on cipro and Flagyl even though cdiff and all other cultures were negative due to his fever, tachycardia, elevated wbc,sed rate, crp increased drastically from labs previously 4 days prior. Biopsies just showed crohns, gi Dr wants to start remicade. I have looked up about this and I am very worried about starting him on it due to potential side effects and possible complications. Would it be reasonable to ask to stay on the 6mp for longer to see if another flare happens before trying remicade? If he was having more serious crohns symptoms i would be more willing to start it. I just don't know if its worth the risks to go ahead and start it right now??

FPO Bmineard1
Joined Nov 6, 2020

Wed, November 02, 2022 7:43 PM

Reply posted for Isa.

My daughter, 6 years old, was diagnosed with Juvenile Arthritis last year, and was just diagnosed with Crohn's. The treatment options are Humira or Remicade. I had not heard much about Remicade infusions before this, but I know a bit about Humira because it is similar to Enbrel which she's been on for almost a year due to her arthritis. I have discussed what both treatments would include with my daughter, but had not known anyone who has done Remicade. Humira would be similar injections to what she's been on, but she is not a fan of having two weekly (Methotrexate and Enbrel - both every week), so to her, Remicade sounds more intriguing. Thank you for sharing how it has worked for your son.

Question though - I see you mentioned hair loss. Was this during his Remicade treatments or when you began the newer treatments? I am still trying to learn more of the pros/cons to decide between the two.

FPO taytrot
Joined Nov 2, 2022

Mon, October 24, 2022 10:40 AM

Reply posted for Bmineard1.

They add not anything long term to the pores and skin. Clinical smooth skin remedies involve injecting materials inclusive of botox, collagen, and hyaluronic acid into the regions most tormented by https://torresaesthetics.com growing older. These treatments can last everywhere from three months to a year,

FPO goqaq
Joined Sep 15, 2022

Sun, December 13, 2020 12:34 AM

Reply posted for Bmineard1.

I am sorry you are going through this -- I have been down this road.  My son has CD and was diagnosed at 6 yrs of age when an anal fistula landed him in the emergency room.  He was on cipro and flagyl for 4 years and when he was 10 the GI recommended Remicade in order to avoid surgery until he was fully grown and to catch up on growth; the window was closing.  It was the most difficult decision my husband and I have ever had to make. I sympathize with you on that.  I was asking the same questions and was kind of incredulous that anyone would accept these risks for their child.  That said, his GI was (he has now transitioned out of pediatric care) one of the leading Crohn's researchers in the world and I put my trust in her expertise.  He did very well on Remicade with no serious side effects.  He even exclaimed that he felt like he no longer had a disease.  Heartbreaking.  He was on Remicade for 6 years, it healed his fistula, put him into clinical remission, and gave him a normal quality of kid life.  After 3 years of being in remission his GI weighed the benefits and risks of treatment and recommended he be moved to Entyvio.  He has been on Entyvio for 1.5 yrs and he now feels like he has chronic illness.  His inflammation is steadily rising, he has peripheral joint pain, and has had frequently recurring sinus colds.  He was a very active kid but can no longer engage in the same level of activity -- he gets injured while doing activites much more easily than before. Hair loss has been an issue, too, and you can imagine how this is going down for an 18 year old.  It's a journey and your treatment decision will be determined by what you prioritize.  For us, it was quality of life. It's a journey, I wish you and your son well.

FPO Isa
Joined Jan 9, 2020

Mon, November 23, 2020 10:30 AM

Reply posted for administrator.

I will share with you what our doctor told us! Risk of surgery is higher then the side effects! We have been on Humira for over a year now. My son grew about 5 inches and gain close to 30 pounds. He is very active and we could not be happier. 

FPO tyanmaz
Joined Nov 23, 2020

Wed, November 11, 2020 12:45 PM

Reply posted for administrator.

BMineard,

Sorry to read about the challenges your son is having with his health.  It is important to learn about both the risk and benefits of treatment.  We have resources that can help you learn more at: https://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-is-crohns-disease/questions-for-your-doctor

FPO administrator
Joined Oct 12, 2017

Related Topics

New treatment Entyvio?
Author Image samilouw
Joined Nov 12, 2020

Hello, I am new here and recently went to see my G....

read more

Biologics and scarring
Author Image chelsea95
Joined Sep 26, 2020

Hi there. Wondering if anyone has noticed somethin....

read more

Remicade vs Inflectra or ...
Author Image dmwohare
Joined Dec 29, 2020

My medical iinsurance is forcing me to try one of ....

read more